"Mothers come in all shapes and sizes. Child-bearing does NOT make a mother. Mothers may be birth-moms, adoptive moms, aunts, grandmothers, step-mothers, friends, teachers, etc. I have held sleeping children on my chest, cleaned poop, pee, vomit, and snot. I have calmed screaming children and cleaned and bandaged booboos. We go by different names, but there are many forms of mothers."
I posted this on Facebook and for good reason. Moms are everywhere. I can name plenty of moms who have given birth to their children, but if you look a little closer, you'll see all the other moms who raise children without carrying them for 9 months within them. How about all of the teachers who care for children the majority of their waking hours? What about the nannies, babysitters, aunts, grandmothers, step-mothers, neighbors, and heck even older sisters and dogs for that matter? Some people have no interest in the children they bear. Others of us struggle for motherhood because we know that to be our calling.
No comments:
Post a Comment